With no disrespect to the other Joker portrayals, you cannot deny that Heath Ledger‘s Joker from The Dark Knight (2008) was the best and most realistic we’ll ever have of the character. Yes, this is just a movie featuring fictitious characters, but that doesn’t change the fact how some of the Joker’s points of view were just so spot-on in this film that it’s haunting.
On that note, here are my top quotes of The Dark Knight’s Joker.
10. Why so serious?
9. I’m not a monster. I’m just ahead of the curve.
8. I believe whatever doesn’t kill you simply makes you… stranger.
7. Don’t talk like them. You’re not! Even if you’d like to be. To them you’re just a freak — like me. They need you right now. When they don’t, they’ll cast you out… like a leper.
6. The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules.
5. Do I really look like guy with a plan? You know what I am? I’m a dog chasing cars. I wouldn’t know what to do with one if I caught it! I just do things.
4. Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. You know the thing about chaos? It’s fair.
3. Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.
2. Nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even if the plan is horrifying! If tomorrow I tell the press that a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics. Because it’s all “part of the plan.”
1. Their morals, their code… it’s a joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They’re only as good as the world allows them to be. When the chips are down, these civilised people… they’ll eat each other.